Caer Sidi

22 October 2006

Coffee, Spam and Cream Tea at Harrods

Monday 16 October

Caroline and I met for dinner tonight and it's been ten years since we last saw one another. She is totally ageless and I must ask her secret to looking so young. Ten years melted away over a yummy dinner and we chatted like we'd never been apart and planned our time together.


Wednesday 18 October

People who know me know I like a good coffee. I was worried I wouldn't find anywhere good in London as it was hardly cafe culture ten years ago. Well I've had no problems and have a great little local cafe (Caffe Saporito) where I get my morning latte before heading off on my daily adventures. It's about two minutes' walk from the apartment.

Today I headed for the National Gallery as it was always a favourite when I lived in London. Unfortunately I chose the wrong day as there was a warder strike so only part of the gallery was open. I did see, and fall in love with, a painting by George Stubbs called Whistlejacket which was acquired in 1997 so this was the first time I'd seen it. Look it up on the net as it's magnificent - a life-sized painting of a race horse.

There wasn't much more I could see so I decided to come back another day and instead visit some London institutions: Harvey Nichols and Harrods!

I wandered through the designer floors of Harvey Nicks, feeling only slightly shabby. I then went up to the Food Hall and bought some treats (for Paul of course).

Down the road in Knightsbridge is Harrods and of course I wandered around with the throngs of tourists in awe of the magnitude of the place. If there was ever a place dedicated to the gods of decadence and desire, this is it. I spent the grand sum of £3.75 on some Christmas bikkies (for Paul of course). I did spend a bit of time looking at the stained glass ceilings and the lovely architecture.

There's a ticket office at Harrods so I ended up booking my ticket to Spamalot there. This is a new musical which rips off the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail and is penned by Eric Idle, one of the Python team, and I'm going on Monday night. I told my friend Heather before I left that I'd be seeing it and that Tim Curry was playing King Arthur and she was very envious! Tim... mmmmm.... I know Mum will also be impressed as we both love watching him in The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

After booking my ticket I had a cream tea (number seven or eight since I arrived in England... I lose count). It was expensive but pleasant.